I found a really great recipe for banana chocolate chip muffins that I love and tweaked it a bit to create these banana bran muffins. They meet my criteria of a good muffin: rise nicely, moist and come away from the paper liner cleanly.
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup bran
2 tbsp. wheat germ
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
1. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, bran, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In another bowl, whisk the egg, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Add the mashed bananas to the mixture.
3. Stir wet ingredients into dry mixture just until moistened.
4. Fill paper lined muffin cups.
5. Bake at 350ºF for 22-25 minutes.
Yield: 12 large muffins